Re: Large gap in text.

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Large gap in text.
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:05:17 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hwaen Ch'uqi" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, January 18, 2014 3:30 AM
Subject: Large gap in text.

Greetings All,
    I am nearing the end of preparations for my first
LilyPond-generated publication. My problem lies in the prefatory
matter. I have trimmed the code as lean as possible and have attached
both .ly and .pdf files. As you will see, a highly undesired page
break occurs, leaving a great amount of unused vertical space on page
1. However, if I will remove the code for page 3, pages 1 and 2 will
compile as expected. Is it possible that I have a misunderstanding
regarding \markuplist or \vspace? Can anyone advise me? The matter is
now somewhat time-sensitive.
    Thank you so much.
Hwaen Ch'uqi

Hi.

It looks to me that Lilypond is doing to your text what it should do to music: make it so that the number of systems per page are balanced. Because you've forced a page turn before the acknowledgements, it's now as if you have 6 systems of music, but want 5 of them on page 1 and 1 on page 2: Lilypond naturally disagrees, wanting a balance with 3 on each page.

I can't get this to work in your set-up, but I'd suggest it may be best, given your layout, to use purely manual page breaking. You can forbid automatic page breaking with

\override NonMusicalPaperColumn.page-break-permission = ##f

and can then place \pageBreak appropriately.

Alternatively, and if you have the time to use a different approach, I would strongly recommend lilypond-book (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/usage/lilypond_002dbook) for projects such as this.

--
Phil Holmes