Off-topic: Automatically create rehearsal files from SATB midi file

From: Speldosa
Subject: Off-topic: Automatically create rehearsal files from SATB midi file
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 04:51:15 -0800 (PST)

I'm sorry that that I'm going off-topic here (well, it's not /that/
off-topic), but I thought that if I could find anybody who knew how to do
what I'm trying to achieve right now, it would be a hardcore LilyPond user
:)

Anyhow, I'm using LilyPond to output midi files of my SATB arrangements.
Now, I want to create individual mp3 rehearsal files for each voice. That
is, for sopranos, I want a file that is mixed so that the soprano part is
the loudest, for the altos I want the alto part to be the loudest, and so
on.

I'm writing a bash script for achieving all this, but where I run into
trouble is when I try to play a midi file from the terminal while setting
the initial volume for each track. I simply don't know how to achieve this.

I've tried using  timidity <http://timidity.sourceforge.net/>   but it
doesn't seem to have any way of achieving this. I've also tried fluidsynth,
and have managed to send CC#7 and CC#11 commands at very start, but
fluidsynth seems to send these before the midi file has been properly set
up, which mean they don't have any effect (see discussion of this attempt
here
<http://nongnu.13855.n7.nabble.com/How-can-I-start-fluidsynth-playback-with-certain-cc-commands-specified-from-the-very-start-td177680.html>

).

So, right now, I'm kind of stuck. I've been trying to solve this problem for
a couple of days now but without geting anywhere. Does anyone in the
LilyPond community have any suggestions on how to do it?