My workaround (on CentOS) for Ghostscript failure to render PDF as last

From: Aaron Mendez
Subject: My workaround (on CentOS) for Ghostscript failure to render PDF as last step of lilypond compile
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 05:21:47 +0000 (UTC)

Upon hearing last week that RedHat would bring CentOS offically under its
wing, I set up a 'minimal desktop' of Centos 6.5 in VirtualBox to take a
look around. When after installing lilypond I found it failed to compile
with the apparently very common excuse of:
warning: `(gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595.28
-dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841.89 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
-r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=./test.pdf -c.setpdfwrite -ftest.ps)'
failed (256)

And furthermore that simply repeating the command standalone succeeds in
producing a PDF:
gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595.28 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841.89
-dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sOutputFile=./test.pdf -c.setpdfwrite -ftest.ps

This made me rather sad. After some digging, I opened the file
`/usr/share/ghostscript/8.70/Resource/Init/Fontmap`, which initially
appeared like so:
%!
% See Fontmap.GS for the syntax of real Fontmap files.
%% Replace 1 (Fontmap.GS)
(Fontmap.GS) .runlibfile
% must be at the bottom of line to allow people overriding everything.
(Fontmap.local) .runlibfileifexists

In this syntax, `%` is a comment (removes code from programmatic evaluation).
I commented the last line, like so:
%!
% See Fontmap.GS for the syntax of real Fontmap files.
%% Replace 1 (Fontmap.GS)
(Fontmap.GS) .runlibfile
% must be at the bottom of line to allow people overriding everything.
%(Fontmap.local) .runlibfileifexists

Now lilypond compilation succeeds.
I hope this information is useful to someone.