best way to have "note-connected" box?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: best way to have "note-connected" box?
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 10:47:15 -0500

Hello all,

Please consider the following screenshot:

I would love to have this as “a thing” — i.e., I could write something like

  \speak #DOWN “A cold winter indeed.” b4\fermata

and it would make the screenshot thingee happen. Ultimately, I’d love overrides for wrap-width, arrow-alignment (i.e., is the box centered on the arrow, or offset as in the picture), etc. — but for now, I just want it to happen at all.

I’ve been toying around with basic markup functions, but thought that (a) someone might have a better idea, like overriding Balloon; or (b) already have this wheel invented.

Any suggestions/hints/examples would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Kieren.