Re: Difficulties encountered while making snippets (to be used as musica

From: Jean-Luc Chevillard
Subject: Re: Difficulties encountered while making snippets (to be used as musical quotations inside an article)
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 21:30:51 +0100

Thank you Eluze!

It seems to me that the page you mention
is the one I initially used for making my batch commands
[although I was probably using version 2.17,
according to my printouts, made a few days ago]

When discovering that page, at that time,
I was just wondering why there was not SVG option listed,
but I now understand Phil Holmes said that option is not available,
for historical reasons ...

I am trying to reach a stable "plateau" in my use of LilyPond,
in order to concentrate on the musical data
which I wnat to handle:
I am trying to make a simple data base
[online and in printed form]
of various South Indian (Tamil) melody types
available in several hymn collections (Tēvāram [தேவாரம்], Tiruppukaḻ [திருப்புகழ்], etc.)
as seen by several performers/scholars
(at various points in the past)
and therefore any automatic (blind group treatment) feature is welcome
(and will be even more welcome when the number of entries in the data base increases :-)

As an example, I include as an attachment (in PNG form)
an entry I made this afternoon,
on the basis of a Tamil book printed in 1928,
which gives a scholar's opinion on the way to sing
a hymn to Shiva,
probably composed in the 7th century AD
(although it is very much to be doubted that they were using the same melody :-)

That PNG image will be best handled (in the future) as a collection of smaller images,
each small item being an element in the database, with a lot of cross-references between them.

I guess I have to rely for the time being:
-- either on PNG images (with sufficiently good resolution)
-- or on manually resized SVGs (I still have to check Ed Gordijn's suggestion, though)

And possibly on improving my understanding of .EPS files ... :-)
(why are they not all behaving the same way, when it comes to embedding?)

Thanks again to all who answered my question

-- Jean-Luc

"https://univ-paris-diderot.academia.edu/JeanLucChevillard"