Lilypond output for the web?

From: Mario Lang
Subject: Lilypond output for the web?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:09:16 +0100

Hi.

I am working on a system to include braille music code in documents.  I
started with a preprocessed Markdown approach (see
http://bmc.branchable.com/tutorial/) but recently moved to a
reStructuredText directive
(http://github.com/mlang/bmc/blob/master/python/bmc/rst.py)

Obviously, I dont just include the braille music code, I also transcribe
it to LilyPond, and make PDF/PNG and audio versions out of it.

In both of these I am dealing with size issues.
LilyPond typically always generates paper-sized PNGs.
I luckily found the trim option to make it as small as possible..
That is very neat for small examples.
But I just wondered, what do I do if music is on several pages?  True,
the user could just download the PDF, and maybe thats really what
sighted users prefer.  Problem is, I am blind, so I am a bit stuck on
this question.  Has anyone perhaps worked on some smallish "framework"
for displaying LilyPond output on the web, maybe with a way to flip through
pages?  Alternatively, can I convince LilyPond to print on endless paper
such that the user could just scroll the image?  Or is that even
practical?  The whole point of my question is that the paper-size
approach of LilyPond is sort of getting in my way, since I am not
rendering for print, at least not when generating PNGs.

Thanks for your input.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕