Re: Using only manual page breaks in a large file with many short scores

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Using only manual page breaks in a large file with many short scores
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 21:58:59 -0500

Federico Bruni wrote:
> It's hard to understand exactly your situation without looking an example.
> Anyway, what I meant is in the minimal example attached.

Thanks for that.  It's a nice illustration of how \bookpart works.  I need to
look into \table-of-contents which looks very useful.

I've attached a similar example to show how things are currently set up with
what I'm working with.  Basically each tune (\score) is in its own file and 2-3
of them should fit on each page.

If I used \bookpart like in your example, I would have one \bookpart per page
and one file per \bookpart (page), rather than one file per tune (\score).  And
then I'd lose the flexibility of having a separate file for each tune that can
stand on its own or be easily re-combined with other tunes in different
groupings.

The ragged-bottom = ##t line in Collection.ly prevents the three tunes from
fitting on a page, and causes what should be "forced" manual page breaks to be
ignored, and automatic page breaks to be used instead (even though
page-break-permission is set to ##f).  If you comment out ragged-bottom = ##t
you can see that the 3 tunes can and do fit on the page.

Thinking out loud... what if there were a way to allow LilyPond to compress
things vertically (say to fit the manual page breaks), but also disallow
stretching to fill the page if there is more than enough room?  Basically, what
if ragged-bottom were two separate commands? Something like
"allow-vertical-compression" and "allow-vertical-stretching" (or
"disable-vertical-compression" and "disable-vertical-stretching")?

Anyway, I'm still wondering what's the best approach.  One complication is that
I also need to be able to output the whole collection in a transposed version
for transposed instruments (like a B flat clarinet), and it would be nice to be
able to do that without having to make an additional copy of all the files for
each transposition... so several trade-offs to think through.

Thanks for your help,
-Paul