Re: 3 staff piano score

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: 3 staff piano score
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:41:12 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 2:02 PM

Gabriel Striewe <address@hidden> writes:

>in some, especially contemporary piano literature, a piano can have >more
>than 2 staffs, for example three or four, usually only for the duration
>of a few bars.
>
>I usually notate my music using \parallelMusic.
>
>My question is: how do I achive this? I would like a third or fourth
>staff to appear only during some bars, not continuously.

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/snippets/staff-notation#staff-notation-adding-an-extra-staff

So why aren't you doing it in that way?

There are alternative options: the OP's original code will work with this alteration:

\layout {
\context {
\Staff \RemoveEmptyStaves
\override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
}
\context {
\PianoStaff
\remove "Keep_alive_together_engraver"

I'd say this is a bug in the documentation.

--
Phil Holmes