Re: minor chords

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: minor chords
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:12:15 +0100

Am 17.03.2014 01:45, schrieb Jim Long:
I understand the Cmi7, too, but when sketching
some chords on paper during a Jazz session, a simple "-" is
way faster to write than "mi" all the way.

So it's rather a matter of personal taste IMHO.

Just my 2 cents

Marc

With great respect, I beg to add,

Beware of "shortcuts" which are for the benefit of the writer.
IMO, engraving decisions should be made for the benefit of the
reader.

Yep, that's true. I was unclear in my answer above: the first
"Real Book" was a collection of songs written by Steve Swallow.
He used the "-" sign for the whole book AFAIK.
After his collection got copied over and over again, most
musicians got accustomed to this style. So I think it's a matter
of habit.

Speaking for myself, I'd prefer a C-7 over a Cmi7, and a C-Δ
over Cmmaj7. But I can play both ;-)

Marc