Re: Discussing typographical standards

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Discussing typographical standards
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 09:07:56 +0100

On 03/25/2014 01:10 AM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
The following is completely off-topic, but I’d like to share some
observations I often make and thoughts I have and ask for your opinion:

Hi Simon,

just a few random thoughts to your remarks; I'll try to keep it short.

– For what I know of best practice in typography, it is normally
unnecessary to use slurs for indicating melismata. [...]

This discussion popped up several times already. IIRC, we always agreed not to agree: Singers of old (in particular, Renaissance) music expect that there are long melismata all over a piece, and prefer not to have huge slurs in their scores. Singers of more modern music, where melismata often are only a few notes, prefer slurs. I -- as a singer familiar with both -- am confused whenever a piece of one epoch uses the style of the other.

– The default Denemo output reflects the now common, but faulty practice
of writing syl- la- ble instead of syl - la - ble  [...]

Ugh. Ugly, but Denemo's fault. Do they have an internal representation of "proper" hyphens? I cannot imagine that the person who wrote the exporter is so unfamiliar with LilyPond's syntax to mix that up.

– The beginning of the first recitative is a good example where
inserting a line break at half-measure would significantly improve the
visual impression by a more even horizontal spacing. [...]

Agreed. On a side note, I also use this when the chorus of a song comes first, and several stanzas follow on an upbeat; that's simply to avoid lyrics dangling in the middle of nowhere deep below a staff.

The disadvantage is that there is no possibility to
differ in likeliness between mid-measure and full-measure breaks, which
would then be desirable.

Definitively.

– As always, the default margins are too small.  [...]

Agreed, but...

I once read a comprehensive article
<http://www.dante.de/tex/Dokumente/KohmSatzspiegel.pdf> (in German) on
this topic from the German Tex user group’s magazine, and the author
pointed out that in medieval manuscripts and renaissance prints an
outstandingly pleasing appearance is achieved by page margins which
cover up half of the page’s space! This is luxury, of course, [...]

... that's not only luxury, it's a hindrance for sheet music IMHO. Page turns are not a huge deal when reading a novel; they are when you're busy waving your hands in front of a choir, need to keep your fingers on the keys or strings, or even if the noise of turning a page is too loud for a singer. And larger sheets are impractical too, for several reasons. Unless you need to hide from your conductor... ;-)

In the engraving you refering to, I agree the margins are a tad too small, but I'd trade the staff size for it (and the "boldness" of the Feta font, if it were easy to change): I like the horizontal density of the notes e.g. on page 7. (Barring some alignment issues, e.g. on the clef change in m. 67.) If however the staff size is required for reading at some distance when playing: Forget about the margins, let my hands stay at the strings.

– In order to increase legibility and clarity it’s also much advisable
to use at least one StaffGroup, [...]

Sure. Again, Denemo's fault (or the user didn't specify it). At least not Lily's.

Just my two Satoshi...

Best,
Alexander