Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 139, Issue 9: Mensural sign (Phil Holmes)

From: Andrew A. Cashner
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 139, Issue 9: Mensural sign (Phil Holmes)
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 08:42:51 -0500

Dear Phil,

I agree: if the symbol is in the lyric line, then it looks to me like a print version of the common manuscript abbreviation for repeated lyrics. The attached is from a Spanish manuscript, c. 1660, and I have seen the symbol in Italian sources as well. (If it's not in the lyrics line, then it could be another kind of repeat sign.)

For your second question, I'm not sure if you are transcribing this to modern notation or trying to reproduce the original. You may know that the standard practice in early-music editions in modern notation that I have seen is to put the repeated lyrics in italics (shown in the other attachment; sometimes one sees square brackets used instead). If you're trying to render the original notation, though, you might trace the symbol in a vector graphics application and then insert it as an \epsfile.

Best,
Andrew Cashner

Message: 6