Re: \relative versus \absolute (was "Re: Macro/multiply notes")

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: \relative versus \absolute (was "Re: Macro/multiply notes")
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 21:13:59 +0200

Another aspect: on english keyboards, the single quote ' is easily reachable. But on german (and maybe other?) keyboards it’s further on the right and you need the shift key to get it; the neo layout (a german ergonomic layout which I use) also needs an extra key (called mod3, at qwerty’s caps lock position). So it’s easier not to have to type all these quotes (which can be very many when you write music for piccolo flute, piano, …). And I find { a''' e'''' c'''' a''' } not as readable as \relative a''' { a e' c a }.

Of course, for music with many big intervals may be better written in absolute mode (you will need many ' and , anyway).