Re: problems with partcombine

From: James
Subject: Re: problems with partcombine
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 17:55:29 +0100

On 15/06/14 12:18, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  below is another example with a couple of issues I can't resolve:
>
> The issues:
>
> 1. With my lilypond version the clef change to the bass clef in the
>    second bar is ignored (although in other situations a clef change
>    in mid bar is printed).
>
> 2. All rests in the second bar of musictwo are not shown.
>
> The second issue seems to happen, when one of the two partcombined
> voices starts with a rest (especially if it is a multimeasure rest,
> where it makes complete sense to suppress it), but this behaviour is
> not consistent and I couldn't yet find a pattern or a reason where it
> happens why and how to avoid it. In addition these rests (especially
> multimeasure rests if displayed) often collide with music of the other
> part in partcombined staffs. I guess this still is an unresolved issue
> in lilypond but it would help a lot if someone who knows why it
> happens could give me some explanation to better deal with it.
>
> Yours,
> Orm
>

> \version "2.19.5"
>
> musicone = { < b' >8 < e'' >8~ < e'' >8 r4.  | % 48
>              r2. \tag #'score \clef "F" r8 < cis! >8~ \ff < cis >8 < g >8~  |
> % 49
>            }
>
> musictwo = { \time 3/4 < gis'! >4 < cis''! >4 < g'' >4  | % 48
>              \time 5/4 < c''' >4 r2 r2 | % 49
>            }
>

> { \new Staff { \clef "G"
>                \partcombine
>                { \keepWithTag #'score \musicone }
>                { \keepWithTag #'score \musictwo }
>              }
> }

There are a fair few outstanding issues with partcombine

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&q=partcombine&sort=patch&colspec=ID+Type+Status+Stars+Owner+Patch+Needs+Summary+Modified&x=type&cells=tiles

See if one of these is yours as often there is a workaround suggested in
the tracker too.

James