Re: unterminated tie?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: unterminated tie?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:31:48 +0200

> Thanks for your fast help.
> I don't quite understand why its important to disambuigate.

As a musician I know different curves with different meanings.
LilyPond mirrors this with the possibility to write Ties, Slurs and
PhrasingSlurs. The printed output for a single curve of each kind is
(very) slightly different.
The broadest diffference can be watched typesetting some chords with
Ties as opposed to using the same chords with Slurs.

Look at the output from:

\relative c'' { <c e g>1~ q ~q }
\relative c'' { <c e g>1( q q) }

Every note of each chord _needs_ a Tie to the corresponding note of
the next chord.
Though it does not make sense to print more than _one_ Slur (as long
as the chord is in one voice).

Cheers,
  Harm