Re: Variable length bars

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Variable length bars
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:45:46 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick or Cynthia Karl" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:53 PM
Subject: Variable length bars

I'm trying to set a John Dowland piece (Come Ye Heavy States of Night) which has a single initial time signature of "4/2 2/2" followed by measures that are either 4 half-note beats or 2 half-note beats long, in quasi-random fashion.

It's clear that if I can get that time signature printed, I can set the piece by appropriate use of \set Timing.measureLength.

Can anyone point me to a way to do that?

Thanks

I'm sure someone else can show how to put two time sigs, one after the other, but it may be worth noting that this is not true to the original. Dowland set it as mensural 4/4 time, with 2/2 in the lute tablature. See http://imslp.org/wiki/The_Second_Book_of_Songes_(Dowland,_John) for the original score.

--
Phil Holmes