Re: Weird spacing related to barlines

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Weird spacing related to barlines
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:47:28 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith OHara" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2014 4:32 AM

Phil Holmes <mail <at> philholmes.net> writes:

Can anyone explain what's going on here?

\score {
 \new MensuralStaff {

 \layout {
  \context {
\Score
      \override SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #0
\remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
 }}}

The "Default_bar_line_engraver" works oddly, in that it turns bar lines
on and off.  Without it, when you say \bar"|" in the music, you start
getting barlines after every note, and a double barline after every
measure.  We don't see them because the MensuralStaff sets barlines
to be invisible.

\override SpacingSpanner #'spacing-increment = #0.0
asks for zero space between notes, but there is no ragged-right,
so LilyPond tries to stretch out the lines, and the space between
barlines is the only space that can stretch.

The barlines use a different setting for spacing
\override BarLine #'space-alist #'first-note = #'( fixed-space . 0.0)
for historical reasons, and unfortunately.

If you don't have measures, maybe leave "Default_bar_line_engraver"
in place, and just stop the measure-counting with
 \context {\Score     timing = ##f  }
and put \bar"" wherever a break would be allowable.

Thanks for the update, Keith. Unfortunately, I can't manually insert breaks because it's 4 or 5 part music: I just thought the effect of adding \bar "" odd. On the upside, it's songs, so the spacing is mostly set by the lyrics.

--
Phil Holmes