Re: predefined mandolin tuning wrong?

From: BB
Subject: Re: predefined mandolin tuning wrong?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 15:15:40 +0200

Just to deliver the solution to my problem, find the working example code I have worked out to redefine every chord (for guitar or mandolin or ...) to whatever notes one likes. (But take care - there is no instance to check it for melodic correctness!)

The key and source of my was the line
\set Staff.stringTunings = #mandolin-tuning
in the \context FretBoards { }

If it is missing lilypond will always use 6 strings - obviously a preset? I thought the line
\include "predefined-mandolin-fretboards.ly"
will do it - obviously I was wrong.

In the given example code I demonstrate some errors just to demonstrate the users power.
1st bes7.13 is defindet with 5 arguments - will not fit to the 4 strings of the mandolin.
2nd d9 is never g-d-a-e, but you can do it.

So, you have absolute power over your chord definitions.
(There are given some other possibilitys for to redfine chords in the manual. I think mine is simpler and more logic at least for me. Som users may disagree - no problem, do it as you like it!)

Regards BB

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

\version "2.18.0"

\include "predefined-mandolin-fretboards.ly"

\storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table

\chordmode {bes:7.13}

%#guitar-tuning

%#"6;x;6;7;8;x;"

#mandolin-tuning

%#"1;1;5;5;"

% example with to many arguments!

#"x;5;4;5;5;x;"

% hang over the strings

\storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table

\chordmode {a:m7}

%#guitar-tuning

%#"5;x;5;5;5;x;"

#mandolin-tuning

#"2;2;4;4;"

\storePredefinedDiagram #default-fret-table

\chordmode {d:9}

% "wrong" just to demonstrate the

% absolute power to redefine every chord

#mandolin-tuning

#"o;o;o;o;"

theChords = \chordmode {

\set majorSevenSymbol = \markup { maj7 }

bes4:7.13

a2:m7 d2:9

}

staffMelody = {

\key e \minor

\times 2/3 {e'8 fis'8 g'8}

c''2.

}

\score {

<<

\context ChordNames {

\theChords }

\context FretBoards {

\set Staff.stringTunings = #mandolin-tuning

\theChords }

\new Staff \with {

\consists "Volta_engraver"

}

{

\context Voice = "voiceMelody" { \staffMelody }

}

\layout {

\context {

\Score