Re: Where to Download the New Music Fonts?

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Where to Download the New Music Fonts?
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 23:29:41 +0200

On 29 Jul 2014, at 21:16, Graham Breed <address@hidden> wrote:

> I didn't use a music font because it was too much trouble to create a music
> font with Sagittal. Also, it's possible to use strings for chained
> accidentals with a text font.  This would be important for Extended Helmholtz
> if anybody wired it up.

Some info about the Extended Helmholtz microtonal accidentals [1] that Graham
mentions:

It might be nice to have some of the 5-limit intervals in [1]. The 5-limit is
the most important one, as this is what a Western orchestra typically adapts
towards.

In a LilyPond implementation, one can choose E53 (53 equal temperament) as an
approximation of Pythagorean tuning, and then approximate the syntonic comma
81/80, about 21.506 cents, with one E53 tonestep, also called a comma. The
approximation is so good that the difference barely can be heard in
simultaneous sounding notes.

The interval of a sharp or flat in E53 is 5 commas, so it makes it possible to
have the single- and double-arrows in [1] implemented in E53. The other ones
would end up in E53 enharmonic equivalence.

FYI, E53 is also used in the description of Turkish music, and might be
suitable for Persian (with koron and sori glyphs added), and in Arabian music.
Currently, the files for these use something else: ETs that are multiples of
12, due to limitations in past versions of LilyPond.

1. http://www.newmusicbox.org/assets/72/HelmholtzEllisLegend.pdf