Re: fonts.openlilylib.org is live!

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: fonts.openlilylib.org is live!
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 11:23:52 -0700 (PDT)

Guy Stalnaker-2 wrote
> Abraham,
>
> Simply wonderful! LOVE Haydn. Seriously, it makes me happy (I know, I'm a
> font geek) to see a score with that font.
>
> Only quibble are the stylesheets. On a kubuntu Linux install, I cannot get
> them working in Frescobaldi. I added the the path to the Preferences as
> you
> suggest. Frescobaldi correctly auto-completes the include filename, so I
> know it can find them. I can Ctrl-click on the include filename and
> Frescobaldi will actually open the stylesheet file. But, compiling the
> file
> with lilypond does not use the stylesheet file contents. I can move to the
> command line (and, of course, use the --include or -I directive) and with
> -V verbose output clearly see that lilypond is using the default
> ementhaler
> font. Here's some of the verbose output from the command line:
>> Using `english' note names...]
>>   [/home/jstalnak/Dropbox/Music/Lilypond/stylesheets/haydn.ily] <-- the
>> \include file path!
>> Interpreting music...
>> [/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/emmentaler-20.otf][8][16]
>>
>> elapsed time: 0.12 seconds
>> Element count 2745 (spanners 375)
>> Preprocessing graphical objects...
>> Grob count 3795
>> [/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/emmentaler-11.otf]
>> <-- But still using emmentaler!
>> [/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/emmentaler-13.otf]
>> [/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/emmentaler-14.otf]
>> [emmentaler-13_4.5693359375]
> And here are the stylesheet files:
>> KubuntuMacBook% ls -l
>> /home/jstalnak/Dropbox/Music/Lilypond/stylesheets
>> total 92
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak  520 Sep 10 14:38 cadence.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak  991 Aug  4 10:39 font-register.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak  546 Sep 10 14:38 gonville.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak  869 Sep 10 14:38 gutenberg1939.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak  782 Sep 10 14:38 haydn.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak 5343 Sep 10 14:23 jazzchords.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak 2684 Sep 11 22:50 LilyJAZZ.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak  523 Sep 10 14:40 paganini.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak  932 Sep 10 14:41 profondo.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak  717 Sep 10 14:41 ross.ily
>> -rwxrwxrwx 1 jstalnak jstalnak  648 Sep 10 14:41 scorlatti.ily
> I know that the fonts are in the right place for I can take literally copy
> the \paper and \layout directives from the stylesheet file Frescobaldi
> opens and paste them into the score and they work. Here's the lilypond
> verbose output when I copy/paste the stylesheet contents directly into the
> score:
>>   [/home/jstalnak/Dropbox/Music/Lilypond/stylesheets/haydn.ily] <-- the
>> \include file path!
> [...]

Guy,

Glad you like Haydn! It was fun to make.

As for the \include issue you describe, would you do me a favor and send the
.ly file you are using? It appears you are doing the right things in
Frescobaldi (I've done this on both Ubuntu and Windows), but I'd need to see
the actual file you are using to know if the .ly file is the problem (since
I've noticed that the order of things can mess things up without throwing an
error) or if there is something deeper going on. I couldn't see it in the
verbose output you posted, but does LilyPond actually give you an error? or
is it just not working as you expect it to?

Let's get this working for you! Using the stylesheets are very handy, in my
experience so far.

Regards,
Abraham

P.S. For anyone who can't figure out where the fonts should go, the example
verbose output that Guy posted should show you where to put them, like where
it says:

[/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/emmentaler-20.otf]

For your system, compile any score you have (with the "verbose" setting on)
and that should show you where it's getting the emmentaler-XX.otf fonts
from. The new alternative music fonts need to go in that same directory.