empty left space in measures

From: Dr. med. Kai Lautenschläger
Subject: empty left space in measures
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 15:27:16 +0200

Hi List,

In many of my scores for choral pieces I see an effect, that I could not make a minimal example for. So my question is, if anyone has seen this and could point me towards the usual suspects of reasons for this behaviour.

Often I see a expanded empty space at the beginning of measures. The measures are engraved with lilypond standard (no tweaks or overrides) and it is obviously not linked to lyrics (I tried leaving them out and changing the length of syllables). I does also not change, if I reduce to one staff or voice. I suspect something linked to chopping the music into measures is the reason, but I have no clue, how to find out more. Maybe it is connected to linebreaking, too.

Sorry that the question is so fussy, but I cannot make it more clear. Please see the png below for an example.

I’ll appriciate any idea!

Best regards

Kai