Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 143, Issue 83

From: Patrick or Cynthia Karl
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 143, Issue 83
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 15:04:32 -0500

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 21:08:41 +0200
> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: parallel music with selective repeats
>
> Patrick or Cynthia Karl <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have a piece of music that needs to have all staves but one repeat, and
>> that non-repeating staff is twice as long as the repeating.  I tried the
>> following but got no joy:
>>
>> \version "2.19.15"
>>
>> musicA = \relative b' { c d e f }
>> musicB = \relative f'  { f e d c }
>>
>> \score {
>>    <<
>>        \new Staff { \musicA \musicB}
>>        \new ChoirStaff
>>            <<
>>                \new Staff { \repeat volta 2 \musicA }
>>                \new Staff { \repeat volta 2 \musicA }
>>>>

>>    \layout {}
>>    \midi {}
>> }
>>
>> The repeat bar is in all three staves, with musicB following on the first
>> staff.
>>
>> If I add the "unfoldRepeats" command to the score, all three stave in the
>> pdf are as I wish, and the midi file agrees.
>>
>> I have tried a couple of things to suppress the repeat bar line on the first
>> staff:
>>
>>  * adding \bar "|" between musicA and musicB
>>  * adding \set Score.repeatCommands = #'(#f) both before and after \musicA
>> in the 1st staff
>>  * adding \with { \remove "Volta Engraver" } to the first staff
>>
>> but the repeat bar is printed in the 1st staff every time.
>>
>> Is there a way to suppress that repeat sign?  How?
>
> \layout {
>  \context {
>    \Score \remove "Timing_translator"
>    \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
>    \remove "Repeat_acknowledge_engraver"
>  }
>  \context {
>    \Staff \consists "Timing_translator"
>    \consists "Default_bar_line_engraver"
>    \consists "Repeat_acknowledge_engraver"
>  }
> }
>
> But it seems like an astonishingly bad idea.

Why?  It seems like an outstandingly good idea to me.

The original piece had the equivalent of :

musicA = \relative b' { c d e f }
musicB = \relative c''  { f e d c }

\score {
        \new ChoirStaff
            <<
                \new Staff { \repeat volta 2 \musicA }
                \new Staff { \repeat volta 2 \musicB }

                \new Staff { \repeat volta 2 \musicA }
                \new Staff { \repeat volta 2 \musicA }

    \layout {}
    \midi {}
}

with a note that the first staff was to be played the first time, and a note
that the second staff was to be played the second time.  I didn't see how that
would generate a desired midi file.  Is there a way?

Anyway, with your method I get an accurate printed score and an accurate midi
file.  Thanks.