Re: automatic fingering annotation

From: erik flister
Subject: Re: automatic fingering annotation
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 11:28:14 -0700

thanks a lot david, i learned a lot from studying this!

looks like there would be two options to get lilypond to report pitch info:

\void \displayLilyMusic       % types absolute pitches to console
\include "event-listener.ly"  % writes file w/midi numbers

but your example inspired me to figure it out in scheme, see attached.  i would think auto-fingering-diagrams would be of general interest -- is it worth submitting either to the snippet library or the core scm library?
some questions:
- how could i pass an argument to the engraver (like 'recorder, to tell it what diagrams to use)?
- i can't find doc on make-engraver -- are there any?
- this method ignored the layout overrides i need (that worked on manually entered markups):
  TextScript.staff-padding
  TextScript.self-alignment-X
  how do i get them back?
- i like your 'display-fingering property, but i removed it for simplicity while trying to learn, i'll add it back...

i also found http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/learning/advanced-tweaks-with-scheme, which seems like it should also work and is simpler than defining a new engraver.  however, i can't figure out how to find the right object/property to give a note/column a markup.  NoteHead.text doesn't do anything.  where do i look this up?

ancillary layout q's:
- getting the diagrams to line up looks impossible -- staff-padding isn't general enough -- woodwind diagrams are tall, of variable height, and their reference point is typically at their bottom.  can staff-padding be sensitive to variable heights and appropriate for either above/below the staff?  also, there seems to be no way to account for staff objects that extend beyond the anticipated amount.  why not be able to assign objects to arbitrary groupings, and then apply justification/alignment rules to those groups?  this could lead to contradictory constraints, but that could just be an error.

- it took me a while to realize i had to set TextScript.staff-padding, not some other object like DynamicLineSpanner (which http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/learning/fixing-overlapping-notation#the-staff_002dpadding-property suggests works even for non-spanning objects
) -- where are objects/properties comprehensively listed?

- why can't i \context {\Score staff-padding = #5}?

- self-alignment-X is behaving strangely -- on the first line, the diagrams align to the left note in a chord, but to the right note on subsequent lines.  why?

- i can't find anything along the lines of VerticalAxisGroup.nonstaff-unrelatedstaff-spacing that will give me additional spacing between lines, and the diagrams are crowding the next line.  where do i look this up?

- and of course, if anyone can help me figure out why that 1h ('half-covered') works for eg flute, but not on my recorder thumb :(

thanks alot for the help!
-e