Re: A solution I've invented for a SATB choir

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: A solution I've invented for a SATB choir
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 23:23:34 +0200

Hello Vincenzo,

interesting idea. It might increase organisation expenses, though, if you have to provide two different scores instead of just one full score. Another way to save vertical space is the one used in the 19th century complete editions of Mendelssohn, Schumann, and many other comparable choral scores (to be found on IMSLP): voices which share (or almost share) their rhythms get only one lyrics line between their staves. Even, if this is true of all voices, the lyrics will be printed below the soprano staff only. And if there are multiple stanzas, they will be distributed between the voices, which makes an enormous advantage for the engraving. I find this very reasonable and economic. (I generally think that these editions are among the greatest examples of music typesetting we have, so it’s always worth considering.) You’ll almost certainly (at least with amateurs) get complaints from choir singers about too large distances between text and music. But I think this is likely a matter of habits and needn’t be taken too seriously. An alternative would be writing the single lyrics line not below the soprano, but between the middle staves, that is for SATB, between the alto and tenor staves. Another question is how to code this in ly if there are more polyphonic passages which require separate lyrics again. I tend towards defining a command which blanks out the superfluous lyrics (\override LyricHyphen.stencil = ##f etc.), and correspondingly shows them again (\revert). It separates the presentation from the content better. Maybe even use one command for multiple lyric lines using \context (you may read that up in the NR if you’re not familiar with it) – and insert that command into the soprano staff context instead of a lyrics context.
Just a few thoughts of mine, I hope they make sense.

HTH, Simon