Re: thanks again for the editionEngraver

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: thanks again for the editionEngraver
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:41:37 -0400

Hi Jan-Peter,

I continue to use your \editionEngraver to great effect. Thanks again! I really
do think such a mechanism — properly tweaked/improved — should become a
standard part of the Liypond distro.

A couple of questions:

1. Have you thought any more about allowing direct addressing of contexts? I’m
currently revising a score with more than 10,000 frames (i.e., >200 measures on
>50 staves), and would love to apply the \editionEngraver… but you can probably
imagine my trepidation, given that any later context editing/reordering will
break any existing edition tweaks.  =\

2. Have you thought any more about supporting anchor points in the score, so
that one could say “the position/offset of this mod is relative to anchor point
X”? When someone (Werner?) first suggested this, I didn’t immediately see the
benefit — though I believe I ultimately agreed that as long as the anchor
mechanism was independent of the existing \mark structure, it couldn’t hurt.
Now that I’ve really used \editionEngraver a lot, and on a lot of big scores, I
am convinced that an editionEngraver that Does The Right Thing™ absolutely must
support such anchors. Again, I’m looking at adding or removing measures in this
gargantuan score, and imagining the cascading chaos.

Thanks!
Kieren.

On Jul 28, 2014, at 4:31 AM, Jan-Peter Voigt <address@hidden> wrote:

> I thought of a change - or addition - like your proposal. At least the
> "counter" should be exchangable by the context-id.
> That way partcombined voices can be addressed by "up", "down" and so on. I
> can't say, if it is managable to omit the context-name (Voice or Staff or
> else). But we will see.
> So, yes, I consider it ;)

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>