Re: Vertical brackets with text around chords

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Vertical brackets with text around chords
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 16:08:19 -0500

Hi David (et al.),

> Ideally, for this sort of thing there should be a special grob.  This grob
> could also encompass the very common piano notation that shows that a note
> ought to be taken by the other hand (the bracket with one wing)

+1

Since it would almost certainly require (or at least benefit from)
staff-spanning capabilities (e.g., across the gap in a PianoStaff), couldn’t
this nicely combine into a grob which *encompasses* (e.g., boxes,
parenthesizes, brackets, braces, etc.) a set of notes/grobs? Then this new grob
could serve a number of similar — and extremely useful — purposes.

> Note that what I've done here is not orthodox--it's "messing with internals"
> as LilyPond currently has no user interface for building new grobs.  (You
> will get errors talking about redefinition of properties if you compile
> multiple files at once using this engraver.)

What (roughly speaking) would it take technically to create such a user
interface? If I remember correctly, the whole Scheme engraver thing was a bit
of a cobbled solution (to overcome the difficulty of creating engravers in
C++), and they have clearly been a boon to the platform/application. Can
something similar be done for grob creation?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>