Bad warning when misusing a melisma?

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Bad warning when misusing a melisma?
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 07:27:34 -0800

In the following example, the melisma is used improperly:

%% -- Start
\version "2.19.15"
\language "english"

theNotes = \relative c' {
  c4 c c c | c b8 a b4 r4 |
}

theLyrics = \lyricmode {
  On -- ward Chris -- tian sol _ -- diers
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff \theNotes
    \addlyrics \theLyrics

  \layout {
%% -- End

A warning is emitted, as it should, but here is the text:

Parsing...

Interpreting music...

programming error: hyphen not finished yet

continuing, cross fingers

In this example it's easy to see where the problem is, but in a large piece, it would be nice to have a line number.  Also, I'm not sure "programming error" is the best way to describe the problem.  I wouldn't call this a bug, but maybe a suggestion for improvement.

Your thoughts?

Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)