Re: Lyrics & Chords sheet

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Lyrics & Chords sheet
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 00:32:56 +0100

>> Peter> Hello all, I’m in the process of creating sheets that only
>> Peter> contain lyrics and correctly aligned chords. (This belongs to
>> Peter> other sheets with music in them, otherwise LilyPond probably
>> Peter> wouldn’t be the ideal choice for this.  But I want to do these
>> Peter> all together in LilyPond.)  I have two approaches so far, and
>> Peter> none of them are ideal …
>>

>> You can use explicit durations on the lyrics and the chords.
>>
>> Something like:
>>
>> accomp=\chords {
>>   c4 c c c:7 f f c c
>> }
>>
>> words=\lyricmode {
>>   Twinkle2 twinkle little star
>> }
>>
>> \score {
>>   <<
>>     \context ChordNames \accomp
>>     \context Lyrics \words
>>   >>

>>   \layout {
>>     \context {
>>       \ChordNames
>>       chordChanges = ##t
>>     }
>>   }
>> }
>

> Hi Peter,
>
> using \lyricmode gives me very badly aligned lyrics with differing amounts
> of space between the words. After all I want them to be printed as
> continuous text, so a markup would be my best choice, I guess.
> But thanks for the suggestion!
>
> --
> Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
> http://www.petercrighton.de

Not really what you wish, less typing, though:

\version "2.19.13"

addMarkup =
#(define-music-function (parser location nmbr mrkp)((number? 0) markup?)
   #{
     \once \override ChordName.before-line-breaking =
     #(lambda (grob)
        (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'text
          #{
            \markup
            \override #'(direction . -1)
            \dir-column {
                    $(ly:grob-property grob 'text)
                    \translate #(cons nmbr 0)
                    \override #'(font-family . serif) #mrkp
            }
          #}))
   #})

\new ChordNames \chordmode {
  \override ChordName.extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . -0.1)

  \addMarkup 5 "Wir stecken doch al"
  \addMarkup "le in einem K"
  fis:m/cis
  \addMarkup "artenhaus,"