Re: MIDI and Volta repeats in parallel music

From: Michael Ellis
Subject: Re: MIDI and Volta repeats in parallel music
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 11:12:03 -0500

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM, Michael Ellis <address@hidden> wrote:

I find it advantageous when working with multiple voices to keep 'structural' information (meter, tempo, etc.) in a separate voice that gets combined with the other voices as illustrated in the image and code below.  In this example, the pdf layout is correct and the MIDI output honors the tempo change, but doesn't repeat the second measure despite using a separate score block with \unfoldRepeats.

After some further research, it appears that there is no general solution (other than copying the volte into each voice) so I'm dropping the question.

I have another question that's somewhat related.  If my example  contained notes above the middle line, you would notice that the stem directions would still be up because I designated \music as \voiceOne and \structure as \VoiceTwo.

music = \relative c' { c4 d e | f g a b  }

structure = {
        \time 3/4 \tempo 4=60 s2.
        \time 4/4 \tempo 4=120 \repeat volta 2 { s1 }
         }

\score {
      \new Staff = "Music" {
      <<
        \new Voice = "Music" { \voiceOne \music }
        \new Voice = "Structure" { \voiceTwo \structure }

Is there a way to tell LilyPond to apply the usual single voice rules for stem direction to \music?