Re: Why does \skip extend an extender

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Why does \skip extend an extender
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:51:52 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick or Cynthia Karl" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2014 3:41 PM
Subject: Why does \skip extend an extender

In the following snippet:

music = \relative b' {
c4 d e f
f g a b
c,1
}

Lyrics = \lyricmode {
c d e __ _
_ \skip 1 \skip 1 \skip 1

\score {
\new Staff \music
\addlyrics \Lyrics
\layout { }
}

I want the three skips to skip past the notes "g a b". That is, I want the singing of “e” to terminate with the 2nd “f”. But for some reason the extender is extended through the notes “g a b”. How can I fix this?

Clearly the extender continues since the expectation is that the singer has to do something with these notes, and continuing to sing "e" is the only option. If the extender ended on the 2nd f, I would have no idea what is intended for the next 3 notes. It would be very confusing.

However, if you want to do this, replace \skip with "".

--
Phil Holmes