Re: would 'gn' for G-natural be useful in \language "english" ?

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: would 'gn' for G-natural be useful in \language "english" ?
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 16:47:01 -0700 (MST)

Keith OHara wrote
> Then I'll propose that LilyPond accept 'cn' only when the user requests
> that input style, and I won't call that style 'American'.
>
> Another inconvenience with \language"english" is that its default names
> are the long forms, so
>   \displayLilyMusic \transpose c e {fs as cs}
> is not as helpful for rearranging music as it could be.
>
> I'm proposing \language"abbreviated" for people who want to use
> \displayLilyMusic to generate brief english, and/or want to type
> 'cn' for the same reasons that we sometimes pronounce 'natural'
> in English.
> <https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=4076#c26>

+1 for adding an opt-in way to use 'cn' (etc.) via another version of the
'english' input language.  This allows for use of this helpful form of input
without confusing new users who still haven't learned LilyPond's input
syntax (which I believe was the main objection to modifying 'english'
itself).

Cheers,
-Paul