Re: Demo: Score and parts template

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Demo: Score and parts template
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 06:55:21 -0700 (MST)

Johan,

Your point is well taken, but let's be clear that LP is first and foremost focused on beautiful music engraving. Audio playback is here to stay, I'm sure, but there's still a lot of work to do with it, and I don't know if that will ever be a top priority.

Now, I understand that the user base is more of a modern, more general audience that finds the audio playback useful and desirable (myself included). However, that is NOT what attracts me to LP, nor many others, I'd guess. Personally, the basic playback is sufficient--useful for audio-proofing. Anything more advanced should probably be done in a dedicated audio mixer.

Anyways, back to the current question (maybe we should start a new thread to discuss this):

Should the LP engine, upon encountering a "\repeat volta" section, automatically, under the covers, force that repeat structure upon the other simultaneous staves/voices, which do NOT contain that same structure, so that it gives the correct output under \unfoldRepeats?

I don't know what the right answer is. From a music playback perspective, I think the answer is yes. Otherwise, I'm not sure it matters. The way I code doesn't even make this an issue, as shown in my previous example, so I guess my voice is quite small on the matter.

-Abraham

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:55 AM, Johan Vromans [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:36:52 -0700 (MST)
tisimst <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Johan Vromans wrote
> > It works for many structure-related items but unfortunately not for
> > repeats.
>
> Sure it does!

Thanks for your response. It clearly indicates that LP does, indeed, *not*
process volta repeats correctly (for some definition of correct) when placed
in a global.

The difference between the print behaviour and the midi behaviour still
stands.

-- Johan