Re: Is cross voice parenthesis arpeggios possible?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Is cross voice parenthesis arpeggios possible?
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 19:35:19 +0100

Am 18.01.2015 um 19:08 schrieb Thomas Morley:
Hi,

On the following documentation, it explains how to create arpeggios
across notes in different voices.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-as-lines#arpeggio

I tried to tweak the example to get parenthesis arpeggios across
voices, with no success.

Can anyone help me?
--
Samuel DA MOTA

Do you mean?:

\version "2.19.15"

staffArpeggioParenthesis = {
   \override Staff.Arpeggio.stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-slur
   \override Staff.Arpeggio.X-extent = #ly:grob::stencil-width
   \revert Staff.Arpeggio.dash-definition
}

\new Staff
   \with {
     \consists "Span_arpeggio_engraver"
   }
   \relative c' {
     \set Staff.connectArpeggios = ##t
     \staffArpeggioParenthesis
     <<
       \new Voice { \voiceOne <e' g>4\arpeggio <d f> <d f>2\arpeggio }
       \new Voice { \voiceTwo <d, f>2\arpeggio <g b>2\arpeggio }

   }

The predefined arpeggioParenthesis is made for Bottom-context.
Simply add the correct context to the definition.

Hm.
How should anyone know this or find this out?
From the referenced page from the NR it clearly looks like arpeggios are exclusively styled using the predefined commands, so when that doesn't help it's hard to see that it is possible at all.

If you already know that predefined commands are actually shorthands for overriding grob properties you may think about following the link "See also: Internals reference" to
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/arpeggio
On this page you would have to realize that

 stencil (stencil):

    ly:arpeggio::print

    The symbol to print.

is the property you are looking for, which is far from self-evident IMO (I would actually expect some property setting a 'style or whatever).

And even if you'd already know that overriding the stencil might be what you're looking for, how would you know what to use to override it with? Where is ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-slur documented? In any case nowhere you'd reach it on that track.

I would consider following the link "arpeggio-interface" to
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/arpeggio_002dinterface
but there is absolutely nothing that helps.

Apart from the current example of someone looking for an arpeggioParenthesis this once more shows how difficult it is to get one's way through the documentation.

In short: this leads to asking on lilypond-user to be the most promising approach. Usually you'll get an answer here but I think there should be ways to make all this information easier to retrieve. Unfortunately I don't have a clue how one could do that ...

Urs

HTH,
   Harm