Pianostaff 4-part writing and rests

From: Peter Danemo
Subject: Pianostaff 4-part writing and rests
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 15:44:02 +0000 (UTC)

Hello!

I'm a pretty unexperienced Lilypond user. I'm working on the layout of a
small piece. It's basically a hymn written using a piano staff. If both
voices have a rest on the first beat and start on the second beat I get
two quarter note rests. I need it to be just one. I learned how to make a
rest invisible, but that doesn't change the position for the remaining rest.

Is there a easy way of doing this?

Furthermore, the piece ends with just 3 bars on the last line. But i fills
upp the whole page anyway. Is there a way of getting the 3 bars to take up
the same as the bars above? Making a 4th invisible bar!?

Best wishes!
/Peter