Re: Learning Manual 2.18 2.41 Organizing pieces with variables

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: Learning Manual 2.18 2.41 Organizing pieces with variables
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 12:06:34 +0100

Hi Kevin,

see: http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/extending/lilypond-variables.html
Not enough time to go into details.

Cheers,
Pierre

Hi Folks,
I'm trying to get up to speed with variables but I am missing something
obvious or the documentation is not clear.

In the example the escaped \cm generates an escaped character not
recognized error message. If I stick it in a layout block it is
recognized. Then however the variable is not longer seen outside that
scope.

The use of the variable name "name" to hold the value "Wendy" causes a
warning that "name" is a keyword.

Here is my code...

\version "2.18.2"

\language "english"

\layout {
   indent = 0.0\cm
 % \omit Voice.StringNumber %defeat number display above treble staff
  width = 4\cm
}

name = "Wendy"
aFivePaper = \paper { paperheight = 21.0 \cm }

% Now use these variables...
\paper {
  \aFivePaper
  line-width = \width