Re: 1. Refrain before verses 2. words for descant

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: 1. Refrain before verses 2. words for descant
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:06:15 -0700 (MST)

James,

James E. Bradley wrote
> 1. What do I need to do to have a refrain before the verses, so that the
> stanza numbering is with the verses and not the refrain? For refrains in
> the middle or end, I just lengthen one of the verses, and it works out ok.

Two things:

1. The stanza number shows up anywhere you put the "\set stanza" code, so
just put that after the refrain (if it's part of the same voice as the
verses).

2. You can set the current bar number at any time using:

\set Score.currentBarNumber = #N

where N is the number you want. Information about this can be found in  NR:
bar-number
<http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/source/Documentation/notation/bars#bar-numbers>

.

> 2. What do I need to do to get words printing for a descant?

The same way you did it for the other voices. Just make a "\new Voice" in
the descant staff and use "\lyricsto" to assign it (see below for a cleaned
up version of your sample code).

> The sopranoTune and altsopranoTune are the same notes, but are used to
> lessen the hassle of alligning words to notes when you want to use
> eighth notes with bars, but have words for each note.

I would advise NOT doing it this way. You will ALWAYS get warnings and/or
errors when you compile the score. One way to do this correctly is to use
"\skip N" when you want a note to be skipped (where N is the note duration)
in the lyric placement, simply align a lyric verse to a separate voice (like
the alto voice in your sample code for verse 2), or use a NullVoice for
alignment purposes since it doesn't get printed (see the  section of the NR
focused on lyrics
<http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/techniques-specific-to-lyrics.html#polyphony-with-shared-lyrics>

for an example of how to use it).

Now, to answer your question about putting the refrain before the verses,
here's what I do (not the only way, mind you). If you look at the time-line
of the score, here's what I'd recommend:

1. Create another staff/voice with its own lyrics (if there are any)
2. Add spacers/rests to the other voices for the duration of the refrain
PRIOR to their time
3. Hide all empty staves

The score should look like this:

|---(refrain notes)---|---(spacers or nothing at all)---|
|---(refrain lyrics)---|---(spacers or nothing at all)---|
|------(spacers)------|-------(soprano/alto staff)-------|
|------(spacers)------|---------(stanza 1 lyrics)--------|
|------(spacers)------|---------(stanza 2 lyrics)--------|
|------(spacers)------|--------(tenor/bass staff)--------|

You can manually put in a "\break" in between the refrain and the rest of
the score, or you can let LP figure that out. I think, since it's a hymn,
that you'll probably put it in yourself, though.

Here's how I would code up your sample score (everything I explained above):

%<-----------------------------------

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"

\header
{
  title = "Sample"
}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

global = {
  \key g \major
  \time 4/4
  \numericTimeSignature
  % hides the metronome mark
  % (but won't hide text like "Andante")
  \set Score.tempoHideNote = ##t
  \tempo 4 = 120
}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

refrainTune = \relative c' {
  c4 c c c \bar "||" \break
}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

refrainLyrics = \lyricmode {
  I am the refrain
}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

descantTune = \relative c'' {
  s1 |
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    a4 a a a |

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

descantLyrics = \lyricmode {
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    I am the descant

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

soparanoTune = \relative c'' {
  s1 |
  \set Score.currentBarNumber = #1
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    b8 [ b b ] b [ b ] b [ b b ] |

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

altoTune = \relative c' {
  s1 |
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    d4 d d d

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

%{
  if you really want to connect the tenor and bass notes,
  only put notes here if the voice is a different duration
  than in bassTune, otherwise use spacers
%}
tenorTune = \relative c' {
  s1 |
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    s1 |

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

%{
  all bass notes and all tenor notes that have the same musical
  duration as the bass should be put in this variable
%}
bassTune = \relative c {
  s1 |
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    <fs, b'>4 <fs e'> q q8\noBeam q |

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

verseOneLyrics = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = #"1."
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    la la la la la la la la

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

verseTwoLyrics = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = #"2."
  \repeat unfold 2 {
    da da da da

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = refrain <<
        \global
        \refrainTune

    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto refrain \refrainLyrics
    \new Staff {
      \new Voice = descant <<
        \global
        \descantTune

    }
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto descant \descantLyrics
    \new Staff = women <<
      \new Voice = soprano <<
        \voiceOne
        \global
        \soparanoTune

      \new Voice = alto <<
        \voiceTwo
        \global
        \altoTune

    \new Lyrics \lyricsto soprano \verseOneLyrics
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto alto \verseTwoLyrics
    \new Staff = men <<
      \clef bass
      \new Voice = tenor <<
        \voiceOne
        \global
        \tenorTune

      \new Voice = bass <<
        \voiceTwo
        \global
        \bassTune

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Staff
      \RemoveEmptyStaves
      % required if affecting whole score
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
    }
    \context {
      \Score
       \override LyricText #'font-size = #-1
       \override LyricHyphen #'minimum-distance = #1
       \override LyricSpace #'minimum-distance = #0.8

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Abraham