Re: ScholarLY - introduction and call for collaboration

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ScholarLY - introduction and call for collaboration
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:30:23 +0100

Hi Samuel,

thanks for your thoughts. They are not offending at all but express valid concerns. However, I think there are good reasons to go the way I (and others) are going.

All these things have to be seen in the context of an idea/project you can't know yet - "specifications" for a common library infrastructure.

Libraries are a good way to extend LilyPond without having to add functionality to LilyPond itself. And I think everybody who reaches a certain productivity level will have his/her own library or libraries of some sort. Basically openLilyLib emerged from the wish to make such a personal library publicly available. However, by now openlilylib is a rather unstructured mass of code and not much more than an arbitrary _collection_ of snippets. The main difference to the official LSR is that openlilylib is _includable_ while you have to _copy_ snippets from the LSR and integrate it with your own files. In a way this is good because it is suitable for its original idea, namely to be a place where interesting code can be stored and made available. But it's already quite unwieldy to see what is actually in there, and this will definitely not become better when it grows more.

So the idea is to reach a state where it is possible to create libraries in a consistent way and where it is very easy to "install" such libraries to make it available from LilyPond documents. This will make it possible to create libraries with specific "missions" (as you call it), for example scholarly editing, but also contemporary or ancient notation or whatever. In a way this should be similar to packages/modules for programming languages or a LaTeX distribution. There you will know (or get directed to) that when you are looking for functionality X you should have a look at module/package Y. This may also encourage people to contribute their tools to a given library instead of only setting up their private toolkits.

One crucial part of that idea is creating a system of auto-generating documentation from the code files, also similar to how programming languages do it. Such a system will make the documentation and use of libraries much more convenient.

One more idea is to also develop a kind of "package manager" that would make it easy to get selected packages. But this is not thought through at all yet. A compromise (which might actually be the perfect solution) could be to create one "meta" repository that _contains_ arbitrary libraries. That way one would only have to download/clone one repository and could access different libraries using some kind of namespace, e.g.

\include "oll/some/function.ily"
\include "scholarly/annotate.ily"

I can see that all this activity still looks kind of scattered but the idea is to have a quite consistent and coherent environment in the not-to-distant future.

Best
Urs