Re: lengthening broken ties

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: lengthening broken ties
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 14:29:57 -0600

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Why not make it possible to give different values of minimum-length
> right when you do the basic override?  Perhaps minimum-length could
> be a pair, one number giving the non-broken value, another giving
> the broken.  Or--less intrusive--there could be a property alongside
> it which acted on a broken object, I think that would be pretty easy
> to implement.

In case it is easy to implement a `minimum-length-broken' property,
please proceed!  It would magically improve *a lot* of scores, I
guess.

If it's convenient, have a look at the attached patch/sketch.  It adds a property, minimum-length-left-broken, which lets you adjust broken bits that start a line.  (Unfortunately I have to send this as a patch, as it modifies  C++ code...)

The example file shows how minimum-length and the new property interact with each other.

>From a philosophical point, however, such a fix basically goes into
the wrong direction.  IMHO, `minimum-length' should do what its name
advertises, namely controlling the length of the tie, and not the
distance between its associated note heads.  The current
implementation is completely unpredictable in tight typesetting
situations if there are accidentals and/or chords.

Yes, I see what you mean. Absolutely it should be the actual length of the tie that is measured.   From the discussion on Issue 14, I see that looking at distances between notes was the convenient route to go, and that handling the actual lengths of ties is tricky given the "topography" of chords.

I don't have a solution to this oldest-of-all open issues.

Hopefully, though, this will prove useful.  Perhaps even when 14 is fixed it will be useful to have different settings for broken pieces, so I'm not so sure that this patch is interfering.

--David