Re: Git/Lilypond workflow

From: Tim Walters
Subject: Re: Git/Lilypond workflow
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 14:07:36 -0800

On 2/12/15 1:44 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
If it were me, I'd use a dedicated repository for the common stuff, put
it in a specific location, and just point the scripts in each
composition's directory at it.

All well and good until you want to branch it with a composition, set up a new machine, etc., etc.... I care a lot more about keeping my various machines and components in sync than I do about a "clean" git history, so that would annoy me a lot more. Different strokes, I guess!

It's not *that* much easier than `mkdir new_composition; cd new_composition; git init`. :-)

Then you have to push it to the remote server, remember and clone all the URLs you've created since the last time you used machine X, install or separately pull the common files, etc. Whereas wherever I go, I'm either a "git clone" or a "git pull" away from getting to work.