Re: Is SMuFL's "cClefCombining" LilyPond's varC clef?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Is SMuFL's "cClefCombining" LilyPond's varC clef?
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 17:23:00 +0200

Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 01.06.2015 um 10:31 schrieb address@hidden:
>> I suspect the "combining" refers to the adding of the elements of
>> the older/French style C clef to the G clef to represent tenor clef.
>
> This was just confirmed by Daniel Spreadbury, yes.

I remember that we had some old clef discussion about some mensural clef
provided by LilyPond and mimicking a manuscript several years ago.

It turned out that the clef in question was indeed two overlayed C
clefs, one for the soprano voice and one for alto (or mezzo?): both were
entered in the same staff but with different vertical offsets so that
either voice, even though combined into one staff, weas written in the
key the respective singers were accustomed to.

That's not as much a "combining" as a "combined" clef, however.

No idea whether this is related.

--
David Kastrup