Re: hairpins default stop at barline

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: hairpins default stop at barline
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 11:15:22 +0100

Gianmaria Lari wrote Saturday, June 06, 2015 10:33 AM

> Why was it decided that hairpins by default stop at the barline?

I don't know as I wasn't involved with LP at the time this decision was made,
but I presume it was because the scores they used as examples of best practice
did this.

> If I write something like this:
>
> \time 4/4
> {a\< b c d
> e*\!* f g a
> }
>
> isn't absolutely clear that my intention is to stop the hairpin on the "e" ?
> Doesn't the standard user writing the above example expect to stop the
> hairpin on the "e"?

Elaine Gould's view in Behind Bars is that the hairpin should stop just before
the bar line if there is nothing between the bar line and the first note "since
the space between the bar line and first note has no time value", but "it is
helpful to extend a hairpin to a first beat if that is some distance after a
bar line."  So both practices are needed.

That means

{
  \time 4/4
  a\< b c' d'
  \key fis \major
  eis'\f fis' gis' ais'
}

would be incorrect (or at least "unhelpful") in her view, and should be written

{
  \time 4/4
  \once \override Hairpin.to-barline = ##f
  a\< b c' d'
  \key fis \major
  eis'\f fis' gis' ais'
}

This is less common so I guess that's why LP implements this behaviour with an
override.

Trevor