Re: Proper way to engrave variations

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Proper way to engrave variations
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 22:00:06 -0400

Hi Calixte,

I could use new \score for each variations, but I think measure number should be continuous.

Since you’re only engraving a single score — not automating the engraving of hundreds or thousands of scores, as is the person in the thread you referenced — why not just use a new \score for each variation, and manually adjust the currentBarNumber? I’m doing that in a score I’m engraving right now, and it’s working wonderfully:

maybe there is a way to indent after a \break or between each include.

You could try using \stopStaff at the end of the first system of each variation to create a “gap”, and then use \overrideProperty Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.line-break-system-details to explicitly change the X-offset… but that sounds like a *lot* more work than just using multiple scores.

To be clear: I think Lily *should* include a dead-simple way of doing what you want; it would also be the perfect mechanism to (e.g.) add a coda or tag to a score. Maybe you should submit a formal feature request?

Regardless, to solve the problem right now, I would suggest using the simplest method, which is (I believe) the multiple-score-with-adjusted-bar-number.

what would the best way to mark the variation number at the beginning of each?

Depends on what instruments you have, I suppose. If it’s a solo instrument (e.g., piano, unaccompanied violin, etc.), you could simply make the instrumentName be (e.g.) “Var. I” — that would look very nice.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info