Re: Nashville notation as chord symbols

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Nashville notation as chord symbols
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 12:59:05 +0200

Amelie Zapf <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I hope I didn't scare everybody away with my last message containing the
> rhythmic specification of the Nashville Number System. That was not my
> intention. But I think it would be great if Lilypond could also support
> this kind of notation, since it is a quasi-standard for studio musicians

Pop music in the U.S.A. may be the monetary epicentre of the musical
universe, but most of LilyPond's developer base are rather removed from
there.  LilyPond supports a smattering of rather diverse notations with
rather diverse quality; how good support of specific notations turns out
heavily depends on some of its users staying invested into working with
and on LilyPond and acquiring the necessary skills over time.

While you are likely to find quite a few skilled people willing to give
advice and suggestions for particular problems on LilyPond's mailing
lists, tying everything together into one coherent whole that more than
isolated persons enjoy working with on a continuing base is a different
challenge.

Sentences like "I think it would be great if Lilypond could" rarely lead
anywhere in a volunteer-driven project since they imply that unnamed
others should be willing to invest more time and effort into bringing
such support into being than you yourself would, and that tends to be
not a realistic expectation.

Your best chance in seeing such support arrive is in splitting that
functionality into separate sensible pieces, thinking about the best
ways how to express the various stuff in the nicest way from a user's
perspective in LilyPond, try working on that yourself and query the
lists and/or start discussions whenever you get stuck or don't even know
where to start on some things.

Which is basically how you started, and that's your best chance at
continuing.

--
David Kastrup