Thoughts on Frescobaldi...

From: Edward Ardzinski
Subject: Thoughts on Frescobaldi...
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 15:21:58 -0700 (MST)

WOW!  This is what I was trying to do with the editor I wrote 10 years ago
(which kept me tied to v2.6.5), if I had the programming skill/patience.
There is so much available that I don't need to have the template file I
used to use anymore.

I'm still struggling a little bit with the output path, but it's not a big
deal since I was seriously contemplating using notepad.  The editor is also
not finding available variables inside of my drum variables.  Again not a
big deal since I'm pretty methodical about my variable names and have relied
on cut/paste for a long time (hence my initial idea to just use notepad).

As for snippets - so far I've added a generic variable, generic drum
high/low variable, the code to set a midi instrument, a drum staff, and a
comment break (just a percent sign followed by a bunch of asterisks).  As I
have been working on an old tune of mine I also added a generic rhythmic
framework for chords which simplified getting the backbone of the tune
working.  Since I use a lot of these same rhythms a lot, it'll probably stay
in the list - I'm likely to use that rhythm again.

There's still a lot for me to delve into with v2.18.2 and Frescobaldi...I'm
going to eventually get to working on adding lyrics, and have to re-learn
how to write alternative melodies and how to attach lyrics (seems there have
been some changes since 2.6.5), and deal with chord names and their
alternatives (I think chord name exceptions got better with v2.10?).  There
some volume tweaks I've seen with midi (the main thrust of what I do) that
I've seen briefly - I'll have to go back and read those sections a little
closer.  But nothing so far has been too difficult in 2.18.  And I'll
recover the files on my old hard drive eventually, then I can play with
convert ly.

But all in all, I'm very pleased with both the new version of Lilypond and
Frescobaldi.