Re: Gounod - Le Rendez Vous

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Gounod - Le Rendez Vous
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 12:41:00 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Alberto Simões-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Although not doubting your suggestion, I would be very interested to
know if there is such a thing like a document describing a "best
practices" for writing/engraving music.

There definitely is (though I'd hardly call any of them a "document"). The most prominent work at the moment is Elaine Gould's "Behind Bars", but there are others that are very good, some more dated than others:
  • Ted Ross - The Art of Music Engraving and Processing
  • Kurt Stone - Music Notation in the Twentieth Century: A Practical Guidebook
  • Gardner Read - Music Notation: A Manual of Modern Practice
  • Clinton Roemer - The Art of Music Copying

HTH,

Abraham