RFC: new location for openLilyLib repository

From: Urs Liska
Subject: RFC: new location for openLilyLib repository
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 17:06:39 +0100

Hi all,

I've for a while been thinking about re-building openLilyLib at a new
location. For several reasons:

1)
The conversion from the "original" heap of snippets (the snippets in the
various top-level directories) to a "new" structure (the "libraries"
inside the /ly directory of the repository) is proceeding significantly
slower than expected so the awkward situation that users have to
maintain both the root and one directory inside in LilyPond's include
path seems to be a somewhat semi-permanent state.

2)
If the "new" *library* infrastructure was in a new repository there is
no need to *completely* move the existing stuff and find appropriate
spots in the new libraries. Instead we could keep the somewhat unordered
collection of snippets as a more open "playground" and build the proper
library infrastructure separately.

3)
I realized that the current "layout" with the libraries living *inside*
openLilyLib is suboptimal for several reasons, and I want the libraries
to be maintained in individual repositories. So there will be the "core"
openLilyLib providing the infrastructure and common functionality and an
arbitrary number of libraries that can be maintained independently,
making responsitibility for maintainership clearer and allowing better
control of project membership.

I'm pretty clear with that and wouldn't ask for comments (although I'll
of course listen to any objections), but I'm not sure about the best
location for the new repositories.

a)
We could just add new repositories in the "openlilylib" organization on
Github.

b)
We could create a new organization or add the repos to the existing
"lilypond" organization

c)
We could move everything to https://git.openlilylib.org.

In a way I would prefer c) because:

- it "looks" more natural
- it would move away some stuff from Github
- it would make it more natural to have git hooks process stuff and
deploy the library and/or the documentation to other locations on
openlilylib.org

But there are also drawbacks to c) because it is hosted on my own (well,
hosted in a data center) server:

- I can guarantee availability to a lesser extent than a big service
provider
- I can't guarantee not to break things or lose everything due to
misconfiguration
- I can't guarantee that I will always have that kind of server or that
I'll even be around in the LilyPond community.
- I don't know if there's a smooth transfer path if the latter should
happen.

Therefore I'd like to ask around what you consider an appropriate approach.

TIA
Best
Urs

--