Re: Combined marks (rehearsal mark, fermata) + break

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Combined marks (rehearsal mark, fermata) + break
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 10:13:24 +0100

On 13 November 2015 at 06:47, Jay Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I know I can do this to combine marks:
>
>   \mark \markup { \override #'(baseline-skip . 3) \center-column {
>     \line { \box \bold "P" }
>     \line { \musicglyph #"scripts.ufermata" }
>   } }
>
> This produces a rehearsal mark over a fermata over a bar line. However
> when this occurs at a line break I want the fermata over the barline
> before the break and the rehearsal mark at the beginning of the line
> after the break. Is there a good way to do this currently? (the
> lilypond web site appears unreachable again so I haven't done my
> usually scouring there.)

Hi,

Federico asked almost the same question a few days ago.
I would personally suggest to use Neil's "multi-mark-engraver".
See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-11/msg00235.html

> If there's not a good way to do this today, one feature that I think
> would solve this cleanly is adding a fermata barline type. So the
> above would be:
>
> \bar "(|"
> \mark \markup { \box \bold "P" }
>
> Where '(' in the bar means a fermata above the bar. We could include
> "(|", "|)", and "(|)" for fermatas above, below, and above and below
> (and of course variations with different actual bar types). What do
> you think? Is it too strange to put this as part of the bar line?

It is possible to have fermatas both above and below the barline using
Neil's "multi-mark-engraver" (one with #'direction = #UP and the other
one #DOWN).

Fermatas as part as the barline? I do not know, maybe, why not.

Cheers,
Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>