Re: accidentals for just intonation

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: accidentals for just intonation
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 15:20:36 +0100

Am 03.12.2015 um 13:11 schrieb N. Andrew Walsh:
> The point of this project is that it should be possible to specify a
> library file for each of these different systems, that each might be
> able to extract different information from the scripting that Urs is
> doing, and apply the accidentals correctly.

Yes, the idea is to tell LilyPond: This pitch is a 13/11 ratio over d,
and then choose an appropriate display mode through simply configuration
switches. This should *not* be exclusive for one mode of display but a
rather modular approach where one can easily add other systems.
For (a contrived) example: If someone had the idea asking someone with a
19th-tone trumpet (dividing the octave in 19 equal steps) to play a
piece that is conceived as ratios LilyPond should be able to determine
the proper "step" in that system and write the remaining cent deviation
next to it. This invented composer should take the trouble adding the
necessary calculations for the specific system, but our LilyPond library
should (then) already provide the necessary building blocks to make that
as easy as possible.

Urs