recent modifications to \partcombine

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: recent modifications to \partcombine
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 14:06:01 -0700 (MST)

Hi all,

It seems that a recent modification to \partcombine has cause a major
problem with some older scores. The code below compiles on version 2.19.28
but not on version 2.19.32:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

A = {
  \repeat unfold 4 {c' d' e' f'}
}
B = {
  c' d' e' f'
  \partcombineApart
  c' d' e' f'
  \partcombineAutomatic
  c' d' e' f'
  \partcombineApartOnce
  c' d' e' f'
}
\new Staff = \partcombine \A \B

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

The problem is being caused by \partcombineApartOnce. I get an the following
error: unknown escaped string: `\partcombineApartOnce'

I see on the documentation that the command \partcombineApartOnce isn't
listed any more, and that is has been substituted \once \partcombineApart.
As much as I think this new command is much more logical, wouldn't it be
reasonable to still allow the ...Once commands in order to maximize
backwards compatibility?

And by the way, the modification to the documentation is a bit confusing.
Here is the passage from this page here
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices

> Commands ending in …Once apply only to the next note in the music
> expression.
>
>     \partcombineApart and \once \partcombineApart keep the notes as two
> separate voices, even if they can be combined into a chord or unison.
>     \partcombineChords and \once \partcombineChords combine the notes into
> a chord.
>     \partcombineUnisono and \once \partcombineUnisono combine both voices
> as “unison”.
>     \partcombineSoloI and \once \partcombineSoloI print only voice one,
> and mark it as a “Solo”.
>     \partcombineSoloII or \once \partcombineSoloII print only voice two
> and mark it as a “Solo”.
>     \partcombineAutomatic and \once \partcombineAutomatic end the
> functions of the commands above, and revert back to the standard
> \partcombine functionality.

Note how the first phrase still mentions ...Once, but then the new \once
commands are explained.

Cheers,
Gilberto