Re: Telemann's "Strich"

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Telemann's "Strich"
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 01:30:25 +0100

On 21.12.2015 01:23, Ralf Mattes wrote:
Am Montag, 21. Dezember 2015 01:10 CET, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> schrieb:
I definitely agree with Richard’s interpretation that these are figured bass
extenders. The quote in your first example makes it really obvious: „Der Strich
bedeutet, dass die rechte Hand daselbst ruhe“ – ‘The line means that the right
hand should rest there.’
Oh, that's a rather unfortunate translation - it might be interpreted as "rest" in the
sense of "to stop", which is probably not what is meant.
Maybe "the line means that the right hand stays where it is".

You’re right, I’ve probably been to accurate there in sticking to the original. Of course it should mean holding the notes on (resting with the hand on the depressed keys) and not making a musical rest, or pause.

Thanks for the hint,
Simon