Re: How to transpose an entire piece of music?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: How to transpose an entire piece of music?
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 22:16:55 +0100

On 22.12.2015 22:04, Bernhard Kleine wrote:

I had a christmas carol "Zu Bethlehem geboren" with is in F-Dur. That
piece has a bass voice going to "großem F" more than once. Since the
other voice are not at all at their upper limit, I thought to
transpose the carol by 1 or 2 tones to G-Dur or A-Dur.

This turned out difficult for the following reason.

Using the \transposition with the \score

\score {
     \transposition D {
        \new ChoirStaff <<

     \layout {}
     \midi {}
}

gave error: wrong Typ of Argument 1, pitch expected, "D" found

I than used \transpose for individual voices, which lost the \relative
c'' property and the notes had to be individually positioned.
Furthermore the whole piece is still noted in F-Dur which makes for
some unusual naturals.

Is there a way to raise an entire piece of music by one note value?

There’s no problem with just writing

\score {
  \transpose f g
  \new ChoirStaff <<
    …

}

\transposition is intended for use with transposing instruments in orchestral scores, a whole different issue.

HTH, Simon